Saturday, January 15, 2011

Crossroads



I posted an academic piece I wrote on cancer biology recently...and despite intentions of transitioning the blog to a more critical look at biology with a sprinkle of my own life, it isn't there yet.

I got a great ride in today. Columbia is really a fantastic place to live. With that in mind, last weekend while Maggie and I were trying to make a final decision about whether we're moving or not, I had a bit of an epiphany: what I do on a daily basis has profound effects on my health and I need to do everything I can to protect my health.

With that said, I'll continue with my PhD and graduate school here at MU. No move. Possibly no MD and no med school for the time being. As crazy as it sounds, but proper sleep, time with family, good nutriton, time spent outside, and riding my bike are something I just won't compromise right now. Returning to medical school in June and then starting a residency in 2 years, too high of a portion of my day will be at work. It isn't that a PhD is any easier, but I can get my stuff done and be serious about it in a confined period of time.

No comments: