I've been in South Bend Indiana this week as a visiting scientist working in my PhD menor's lab. There's a bunch of snow on the ground and I've been resting a bunch after the racing this past weekend, so I've only been out on my bike once.
However I have had some time to think abou this next year.
This was/is extremely helpful in the whole new years resolution assessment: http://www.prana.com/blog/2012/01/01/handbook-for-life-2012/
Of all the things on that list, as a 32-year-old father living with cancer, you'd think I'd be thinking most about the 'health category'. But it is actually the following list which strikes me as the most important at this particular time in my life:
11. Comparing our lives to others is fruitless. We have no idea what their journey is about.
12. Replace negative thoughts with positive ones especially about things out of our control. Invest energy in the positive present moment.
13. Try not to over do. Understand limits.
14. Why take ourselves so seriously. No one else does.
15. Gossip drains precious energy.
16. Dream more while we are awake.
17. Envy is a waste of time. We already have all we need.
18. Forget issues of the past. Let go of our partners mistakes of the past. Focus on our present/future happiness.
19. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
20. Make peace with our past so it won’t spoil the present.
21. No one is in charge of our happiness except us.
22. Realize that life is a school and we are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class but the lessons we learn will last a lifetime.
23. Smile and laugh more.
24. We don’t have to win arguments. It’s ok to agree to disagree.