Sunday, July 19, 2009

Awesome week leading to a non-race

This past week marked the return of my board scores, which ended up leading to a couple of days of celebration. The weekend that capped off the week had in store 3 great days of riding. Friday morning, I headed out for about an hour-ish of tempo-paced riding at Rhett's run. Saturday, was riding at Castlewood with Maggie and then Sunday was an awesome event hosted by our friends team Seagal.

The story with the Seagal event was that everyone would meet at Chubb trail then ride as a group to a few of the many difficult sections of the trail. Each rider had 2 attempts to ride the section for points, then at the end of the day the points would be tallied....and then something about a winner.

Anyway, the whole day brought back a lot of memories, as Chubb was a place I hadn't been too in 10 years, although most of my riding there was over 15 years ago, back when I was in the 7th grade. My mom used to drop off me and a friend at the Lone Elk side and we'd ride our rigid Trek 800s for anywhere from 2-5hours (depending upon the epic factor for the day). Seeing the trail again today and realizing how seriously technical the place is, I had to laugh imagining other mountain bikers seeing me and my buddy back in the day.

As for the event today, Maggie and I both rode and had an absolute blast. I think I only cleanly rode 2 of the 10 sections and am left hungry for more, wanting to head back to Chubb as soon as I can. The team Seagal guys had a fantastic idea organizing the event, followed through with an awesome day, then served up some great brats, burgers, and of course cold PBR. The whole day basically epitomizes one of the the reasons I love mountain biking...everyone there was so psyched for each other when someone rode a hard section of trail.

I definitely can't wait for more non-races and was thinking of some ideas for similar events to host in Columbia.-Cassidy was diggin the spoke card on the way home

Training and racing wise, I'm looking forward to the Rock bridge race next weekend. After that, there are basically 2 things on my radar. The most of important of which: cross season. The other: single speed world championships in Durango. I have a little altimeter on my handle bars that I'll use to train for the sswc, I'm trying to work my up to doing some serious climbing each week. Right now, I average around 3,000-5,000 of vertical feet per week. I don't know what all the course for sswc has in store, but I imagine I'll get at least a week or two of climbing in...at altitude.

1 comment:

Mason Storm said...

Thanks for making the trip to STL! Anytime you are back in the Lou gives us a shout and we will go tear up Chubb w/ u! Name the time and date for the 'Bia NON-RACE and we will be there!
Matt