Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tall Oak Challenge: 6hr solo men


rode a mountain bike in a race for 6 hrs and 16 minutes today.

data:gear- 32x17 (good, but maybe could have gone a bit higher...34x17 or 32x16?)
tires- bontrager 29-3 TLR in back and conti mountain king in front. (perfect)
avg HR: 158 (shit, that's high...too much coffee?)
altitude gained: 4000ft
laps: 10 on a 7-ish mile course
calories taken in while on bike: 1038 (i think i have a high metabolism)

My race was divided into three time frames:1. laps 1-3--> going pretty fast, thought I was the first solo for awhile then got caught by 2 dudes on geared bikes. At first, they were both faster than me on the downhills, we were even on the flat single track, and I had the advantage on the climbs. At this point, I was feeling great: legs were good and I was just trying to take things step by step...focusing on my breathing and not on the number of hours I had left

2. laps 4-8--> Myself and this guy Mike, me holding his wheel for 95% of the lap then me taking off at the last climb, so as to get to the pit before him (he had pit help, handing him bottles, I had to stop). Over time the downhills got more smooth and much faster. Those laps weren't too bad physically (except for standard back and shoulder pain that basically I just tried to shut out of my mind). We were going pretty slowly, my heart rate settled down quite a bit and I continued just focusing on my breathing and trying not to think too much. I began to realize that if I made a mistake or if I took to long at the pit, Mike would attack. This was important for the end of lap 8.
3. Laps 9-10--> At the end of lap 8, I told Mike I was doing what I had been doing...attacking the last climb so that I could stop at the pit (so he wouldn't leave me). Anyway, I grabbed my water then waited at the woods for him...only for my wife to tell me he was walking, so I thought I'd just start riding. After a few minutes, I realized that the pace laps 4-8 really set me up well for the last two. I still had a lot in the tank and started using my single speed to its full advantage (which I hadn't been able to do holding someone's wheel who had gears). I kept my momentum, attacked the hills, ran a few rocky sections (which if I didn't, caused my hamstrings to cramp pretty bad), and generally felt like I was just out for a nice ride.

After 10 laps I came across the line thinking I may have won little did I know there was someone ahead of me who I didn't know about, who had done 11 laps. Oh well, second place in a race that I just wanted to finish is fantastic with me.

Endurance racing seems to be at least 50% mental and 50% divided between nutrition, equipment, fitness, and skill...with nutrition probably compromising the majority of that side of the pie. It was a really cool, almost out-of body experience in this race; an awesome culmination to a year of riding and racing. My story is that I raced when I was 18-20; switched to other things with the intention of picking bike racing up again at some point. Then in my mid-twenties, got diagnosed with thyroid cancer that had spread to my lungs and from ages 25-28 I was too worried about mountain bike racing because of my lungs. Last summer, my doctor told me that my lungs were probably clear so I started racing again about a year ago.

Anyway, cross starts next weekend then there's a trip to durango planned...can't wait for more racing!

8 comments:

James Nelson said...

Nice work!

George said...

Congratulations, Dan!

(-Beeze)

Team Trail Monster said...

Awesome Race Amigo! Very nice job. I am sure the Mariachi tunes blasting throughout the woodlands helped.
Got this shot on your run at the pits.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eCYjIHYJhoGse7rDL8THAw?feat=directlink

Ralph Pfremmer said...

Dan, I thought you won it too. you looked stong out there. Compelling story about your illness. Keep it going. Big things coming from you.

Ralph Pfremmer

TeamSeagal said...

Dan, you a prime example of a FFFAAAASSSSTTT dude who is also modest as hell about it. You're one of the fastest guys I know, and one of the most modest and chill guys I know. Can't wait to ride the D9 Bulldozer with you in two weeks.

-Casey F. Ryback

Dan said...

shit, thanks so much for pics and props!

CockPuncher said...

Dan-Great job at Tall Oak!! Was great to see you guys at the BBQ yesterday..Thanks for coming! Can't wait for cross season. Later....Chris

sabina moon said...

Nice article. your article is very good and E-book is well. I love as like as E-book. I think there are best e-book link in the world. If any one search more e-book i seggust their visit here and collect more
TLR race wheel rental