Friday, September 18, 2009

Part 2 course preview

So my prior description took us to the high point of the course. That long slightly uphill slog prior to the heinous 18% grade does indeed have a bit more single track and technical sections than I previously thought (I rode it today).

From the high point on the course, racers will take a high ridge line descent with a cliff on one side and crazy boulders as the riding surface for many sections. If there is a section that prevents people form riding the course under the allotted time, it seems that the ridgeline will be the culprit. At the bottom, the course is more than half way over. At that point, there's a feed station but I've decided to carry a camel back with 72oz of water and a bottle of perpetuem on my bike.

The last 2 hills are what many of the locals are freaked out about. The hills lie on a loop of single track trail and usually are ridden in the opposite direction, I assume because one of the hills that we'll be going up, is a lot of fun to ride down. I don't really know what to expect from that section of trail, as I didn't get a chance to get over there. Oh well, much like the rest of the riding around this town, it will probably rock some socks, snap some wrists, and all that other stuff.

Next post will be after the race!

No comments: