Saturday, February 7, 2009

Med school sometimes sucks


It is a beautiful weekend out there, especially for the first weekend in February. I had marked my calender about a month ago that this weekend was going to be a break from school and that I would take Maggie and Cassidy down to Jasper, Ak for the Big Shark Training Camp.

I was pretty excited to get away for a weekend and not do what I do every other weekend: study lots, all day. I'm over half way through my second year of med school and every year after this promises to be a lot better than what I'm doing right now. Basically the first 2 years are spent in a classroom learning pharmacology, pathology, biochemistry, etc. At the end of this year I take my first national board exam, which promises to be a bitch and determines a great deal about what I can or cannot do in the future. Anyway, my exam is in May and I've been studying for it by doing lots of question bank questions (anywhere from 100-200 per week), reading review books, and trying to truly master the material that is in front of me. This is all to say, that school is a bitch right now and I can't wait to have my weekends back.

The weather in Ak turned out to be bad, so the team ended up moving the camp to Nashville, which would be like an 8 hour drive for me. Even though I was looking forward to riding w/ the team and having some fun, I just couldn't swing 16 hours in the car, trying to study, with a 4 month old in the back (who, btw is just recovering from being sick).

So plan B: ride in Columbia. One of the great things about living here is that there are 2.5 good mountin bike areas within a bike ride from my apartment...so with the weather looking amazing I headed out. Only to realize 30 minutes later that the trails were completely soaked. Now at this point, I always go into a prolonged internal monologue about whether or not I should ride. I don't mind getting muddy. In fact, I love it. But, I hate riding on rutted-out trails. I finally convinced myself to turn around and head home, feeling guily all-the-while that I wasn't studying. When I got home, I decided to just ride the trainer and work on my weakness: steady state work 1-1.5hrs just below my lactic threshold.

I hope I can look back at this time in my life and laugh...but I'm really ridiculous in these pictures. I'm acutally trying to study some pathology on my computer there. While Cassidy is holding my beer. Good girl.

2 comments:

Rory King said...

you had mentioned this sort of thing once, though i wasn't really sure whether to believe it or not.

Dan said...

Yup, I'm a true OCDer, nerd, and dork...and I wasn't really drinking.