Friday, March 26, 2010

Training and prepping

I love geeking-out over training information and sport physiology. This past week I rode:
Sunday 2.5hrs with friends on cross-bike: in the snow



Tuesday 3 hours w/ 3x10 FTP intervals on the road: in 70degree and sunny weather
Wed 2 hours easy on gravel roads with mountain bike: 50 degrees and sunny
Thurs 2.5 hours with 4x90 sec moderate-hard efforts 3 min recoveries: 20mph winds out of north, rain, 45 degrees


Interval 1: about 2 minutes @ 400w average
Interval 2: 90 sec 375w average
Interval 3: 90 sec 360w average
Interval 4: 90 sec 360w average

I love where I live. There's always people ready to ride, no matter the weather or the time of day.

I'm feeling good for my first mountain bike race of the season this sunday...if it rains and the race is called, then I'll probably go do a crit at Forest Park.

The next few weeks stand to be pretty difficult as far as doctor visits. Next Tuesday, at Barnes in St Louis, I'm going in to get a needle stuck into my 5th thoracic vertebrae in order to biopsy the thyroid cancer which is present there. As I was laying in bed last night, I got a little bit freaked out about the idea of physical discomfort and the drug-induced delirium associated with the dose of versed (short-acting drug in the benzodiazepine class that is used for treatment of acute seizures and for inducing sedation and amnesia before medical procedures. It has potent anxiolytic, amnestic, hypnotic, anticonvulsant, skeletal muscle relaxant, and sedative properties) and fentanyl (μ-opioid agonist and a potent narcotic analgesic with a short duration of action and rapid onset..approximately 100 times more potent than morphine).

Yes, that's actually how a dorky medical student like myself thinks when I hear the name of a drug. Man, I love me some pharmacology...sometimes I think it would be a shame to go into pathology or research and forget it all.

After the biopsy, I'll have a bunch of scans/blood tests in the next few weeks then go to MD Anderson on April 12th for an appointment with a guru. Interesting thing about big centers like MD Anderson, which see referred patients from all over the world, is that they tell you when your appointment is. It is sort of like being called to the principles office...you drop whatever you're doing and obey.

No comments: